Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Partition Recovery From External USB Hard Drive

From: Steven Hollingsworth <steven () aznc com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 15:59:00 -0700

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 01:33:04PM +0100, Richard Brinson wrote:
I am currently working with a customer who needs to recover data from an
external USB hard drive which has had it's only partition (NTFS) deleted.
Obviously Windows won't recognise the drive any more so I would like to know
if anyone has any neat tricks or tips to access the drive and rebuild the
partition without using commercial software, and preferrably via USB so I
don't have to rip the drive out of it's casing.

I'd follow the instructions at this link [0], if that data is important
do a sector by sector copy with ddrescue (before you try any recovery) to an
image file or another block device, keep that backup image safe, then use
testdisk on the original to see if it can recover the deleted partition.

~ stevo

[0] - http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Damaged_Hard_Disk