Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: When is a Security patch not a patch?

From: <jay.tomas () infosecguru com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 10:18:36 -0500

List,

The issue is that Mark is seen  as the IT security dude. This sounds more operational which is why management/ sys
admins are probably confused with his role. My guess is that he tinker's around (perhaps too much)on the technology
side with metasploit and all the 'fun' activities we all do so stay intrigued with security.

Better defining the role as 'IT Risk' who maintains compliance and governance over patching and other threat and
vulnerability management will help. Operational sys admins would understand they are responsible for BAU upkeep of
their infrastructure, security or otherwise.

Another leverage is to explain/ present the issue of segregation of duties. One party needs to patch the system,
another independent party needs to verify and validate its implementation.

These detective controls with supporting reporting can be presented to management. We have all been conditioned from
birth RED = BAD, GREEN = GOOD. Circulate a report of all your assets with MSxx-0xx -UNPATCHED RED - Susceptable to
Remote Compromise, see how quickly management , then in turn sys admins remediate the exposure.

Jay