Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: how to block web messenger services

From: Javier Reyna Padilla <jreyna () onlinet com mx>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 15:43:09 -0600

The only wat to stop it is filtering http request, yo can do it as everybody has told you with a proxy or with an URL filtering. If you wan to use open source you can use squid with dansguardian to filter url, or just with squid. There are several commercial URL firlters than can do this job fine.

If you don't want to use a proxy, then you can avoid this usind an IDS, but this one has to be able to send even TCP Resets or modify rules on Firewall (SNORT!!!!!!) or you can use a IPS and block the request for IM via http. The most time this rules are RegEx including the URL for the IM destination.

Regards.

Javier Reyna Padilla
CCSA CCSE WCSE.
Departamento de Seguridad Informatica
Onlinet SA de CV
www.onlinet.com.mx

K. Brian Kelley wrote:
You can chase your tail by trying to keep up with the ever changing IP addresses or go for a security appliance designed to
filter such traffic. I'd advise the latter if you can afford it.

K. Brian Kelley Author: Start to Finish Guide to SQL Server Performance Monitoring
Contributing Author: Best of SQLServerCentral.com Series
Regular Columnist, SQLServerCentral.com and SQL Server Standard Magazine
http://www.truthsolutions.com/
http://blogs.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/brian_kelley/default.aspx