Security Basics mailing list archives

inter-site WAN security question

From: <nobledark () hushmail com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 11:27:23 -0400

Hi,

1st post - I had a hypothetical question poised to me that I could
not answer so I thought that I would ask the list. Here's the
scenario:

 - Two sites, s1 and s2
 - s1 and s2 have the need for a bi-directional WAN link
 - The WAN link would be secured via a VPN and all traffic would be
tunneled through the VPN
 - Both sites are connected via broadband links; s1 is on a cable
modem and s2 utilizes a factional T-1.
 - There are 5 hops between s1 and s2.

Given this scenario, the question was, how anonymous can the
connection be between these sites? Put a different way, assuming
that s1 and s2 are secure and not under hacker control, how much of
a threat is there of a 3rd party monitoring the traffic stream over
the route between the sites and discovering that they are talking
to each other?

Thanks....

--
Discount Online Trading - Click Now!