Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Intrusion attempt statistics

From: levinson_k () securityadmin info
Date: 5 Jan 2007 04:00:30 -0000

I'm not sure I see any real world value in getting or using statistics on "number of intrusion attempts."  If you
wanted to use these numbers to assess the risk of certain products or make a purchasing or design decision, I don't
think these numbers would help.  Number of intrusion attempts does not exactly translate into amount of risk.

If you still feel you need these figures, I think you'd get a better answer if you first defined more specifically what
kinds of intrusion attempts you're interested in.  The figures on number of intrusion attempts vary wildly, are spread
out across multiple vendor web pages, and are more meaningful if you first define whether or not you're interested in
attacks on web servers, email viruses to workstation users, mass Trojan/bot/ftp-pubstro attacks where the system is
technically compromised but the attacker is a script that doesn't care about what's on the system, etc.

Some useful stats on mass web defacements can be found at www.zone-h.org.  Various vendors have stats on virus and bot
attacks, although there are often problems with normalizing data that often includes attacks that were blocked by
antivirus or repeated detections of the same or similar viruses on the same machine.  Some stats on email-borne attacks
are given at http://emails.messagelabs.com/aem/clients/MES001/images/MLI%202006.pdf

kind regards,
Karl Levinson
http://securityadmin.info