Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Securing eRIC express

From: "Thomas D." <whistl0r () googlemail com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 22:59:52 +0100

Paul wrote on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 6:15 PM:
Looks like the eRIC provides some decent security features, including
256-bit SSL encryption, the ability to create individual security
certificates, and even supports LDAP and RADIUS for remote connections.

That's right. The traffic between clients and card will be secure, because
of the SSL encryption, but when someone find this card, he have all the time
to crack the username/password :(

Well, we can use strict usernames and passwords, but with all the time, you
can do everything...

However, I would still be concerned with connecting these cards
directly
to the Internet, as it exposes the device to the general public and
this
could result in undesired probing and poking.

Full acknowledgement.

I would recommend restricting the access to these cards with logical
network security  -- implement a firewall that restricts traffic to the
bare minimum (deny all traffic by default, and allow only these
specific
IP addresses and ports).

Additionally, you could expand on that by implementing a site-to-site
VPN,

We contacted our datacenter if we can restrict connection to this eRIC card
to our static corporate IP address.
I think this would solve all security concerns.