Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Securing eRIC express

From: Paul daSilva <paul () pauldasilva net>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 12:15:23 -0500

Thomas,

Looks like the eRIC provides some decent security features, including 256-bit SSL encryption, the ability to create individual security certificates, and even supports LDAP and RADIUS for remote connections. However, I would still be concerned with connecting these cards directly to the Internet, as it exposes the device to the general public and this could result in undesired probing and poking. I would recommend restricting the access to these cards with logical network security -- implement a firewall that restricts traffic to the bare minimum (deny all traffic by default, and allow only these specific IP addresses and ports).

Additionally, you could expand on that by implementing a site-to-site VPN, maybe using publicly non-routable IP addresses for the eRIC's, which you incorporate into your internal LAN infrastructure (eg: you at office location 1 on the LAN with IP address 192.168.1.100, connecting to an eRIC at office location 2 with IP address 192.168.2.20). All traffic between the 2 locations would be tunneled and encrypted.

Product Link http://www.raritan.com/products/remote_access/eric_express/prd_cms_index.aspx?currpg=prd_cms_index&name=eRIC%20express&content_category=1&overview_flag=Y&features_flag=Y&spec_flag=Y&support_flag=Y&status=4

Cheers,
Paul

Thomas D. wrote:
Thx for your reply.