Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Highlighting weak password dangers

From: Kenton Smith <listsks () yahoo ca>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 15:40:01 -0800 (PST)

Don't use something that actually tries to login to the account, that's counter productive. Use something like John the
Ripper that uses the SAM database. Use a dictionary or hybrid attack and fill your custom dictionary with all the
passwords that aren't allowed based on your password policy. You do have a password policy, right?

Searching for weak passwords should take no time at all. There is no reason for using brute-force for policy
compliance. As soon as you start brute-forcing you are trying to hack user accounts and I suspect that would be against
your security policy.

Kenton