Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: USB Qusetion

From: Kelly Martin <kel () securityfocus com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 13:50:37 -0500

blufuzion () mail com wrote:
Hello, I am new to the list.I am a new network admin and my boss wants me to disable usb drives from reading USB/thumb
drives but still be able to use the mouse and keyboards. I was thinking of disabling them in the BIOS. Can you give me
any suggestions?

This question has come up a couple of times in the past few years, but since it's probably been over a year there might be some new tools out there...

FYI, the previous discussion about this was found using the SecurityFocus search engine narrowed to just this mailing list. Some useful info in there:
http://www.securityfocus.com/swsearch?query=disable+usb&sbm=archive%2F105%2F&submit=Search%21&metaname=alldoc&sort=swishlastmodified

Also, here is a link to a Microsoft article on the subject: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823732