Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Av vendors

From: "Chris Barber" <cmbarber () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 07:05:12 -0700

Juan,

I have heard of some services that use a particular vendor's signature
database but never two vendors that use the same signature database.

As for a list of vendors I would suggest you look at the big vendors first
McAfee, Symantec, TrendMicro, Grisoft, & Panda just to name a few.

Using more than one AV software is an excelent idea, your environment
may help you make a choice of what software to use where.

For instance:  If your shop is all Microsoft you may want to use Trend
Micro on your Exchange servers, then use Symantec on Workstations and
McAfee servers.  In my experiance I have had the best perfomance with
Trend Micro on Exchange servers.  Server and Desktop protection can be
the same vendor but if you can get Management buy-in I would split
them.  Here is where a bit of personal preferance and experiance comes
in.  If you are the only IT person you get all the say on what goes
where, however, if you are only one team member, the team has to put
all the past experiances together and make an informed choice as to
what they will put on the workstations.  Workstations are the biggest
issue in my book because they effect the end user.  What ever choice
you make they have to live with.  So take all the advice you can get
from anywhere possible, lay it all out and make the best choice you
can.

Hope this helps,
Chris.