Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hardware Firewall recommendations (with content filters

From: "Bryan S. Sampsel" <bsampsel () libertyactivist org>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 13:08:18 -0700 (MST)

IPCop.

http://www.ipcop.org

You have to add some extras to get everything you're after, but it works
quite well.

Sincerely,

Bryan S. Sampsel
LibertyActivist.org

Scott Warren wrote:
I am researching firewall appliances that have content filters for use
in our school network.  the criteria is rather simple but seems hard
to fill:
- We are a Mac shop so interactions with the OS X are important (web
based admin makes this easy)
- We need to be able to authenticate the user against the firewall via
our LDAP server.
- We would like to have multiple levels of filtering, more open for
staff, more restricted for students, even more restricted for
disciplined students, and no access for anyone not logged in.
- Having an application/script that keeps us logged in to the firewall
rather than just logging in thru the web page (when you apple-Q a web
browser, you are not logged in anymore and your non HTTP internet
traffic gets blocked).
- Realtime reports would also be a plus.

I have taken a look at Barracuda, Sonicwall and Vicomsoft. I am
looking for some other places to check out.

Thanks in advance!!

-- Scott