Security Basics mailing list archives

Hardware Firewall recommendations (with content filters

From: Scott Warren <sw () shelton org>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 11:28:18 -0600

I am researching firewall appliances that have content filters for use in our school network. the criteria is rather simple but seems hard to fill: - We are a Mac shop so interactions with the OS X are important (web based admin makes this easy) - We need to be able to authenticate the user against the firewall via our LDAP server. - We would like to have multiple levels of filtering, more open for staff, more restricted for students, even more restricted for disciplined students, and no access for anyone not logged in. - Having an application/script that keeps us logged in to the firewall rather than just logging in thru the web page (when you apple-Q a web browser, you are not logged in anymore and your non HTTP internet traffic gets blocked).
- Realtime reports would also be a plus.

I have taken a look at Barracuda, Sonicwall and Vicomsoft. I am looking for some other places to check out.

Thanks in advance!!

-- Scott