Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows Sharing File Permissions

From: Raoul Armfield <armfield () amnh org>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 15:07:30 -0500

Nikhil Wagholikar wrote, On 12/11/2007 3:37 PM:

The best practice is generally to provide Full Control to
Authenticated Users as Share permission and then provide
granular/restrictive permission to individuals or groups using NTFS
permission.

I disagree, I believe that even here no more access should be granted than needed. I grant all my users Modify permissions on the share and only give full control to the admins. The main difference is that having full control the user is also able to control who has access to the share and no one other than the admin team needs to have this ability.

--
Raoul Armfield
rarmfield at amnh dot org