Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Encrypted emails

From: streck () papafloh de (Florian Streck)
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 14:59:17 +0200

Hi Jair,

since you speak of an CA, I assume you talk about ssl-certificates.
Your Problem is the availability of the Certificates. The Users of your
active directory are able to fetch the pub-key of the recipient from the
directoryserver and then send a mail encrypted with that key.
If the 'outside'-Users also have certificates _and_ you have access to
the public keys you can send them encrypted mails.
Same applies to the 'outside'-Users. So you have to give them
read-access to the certificates on the directoryserver or find another
way to distribute the public keys. AFAIK is the default behaviour of
many MUAs to send the public key with signed mails. So this is another
possible way for the key distribution.
And, for the people to verify the validity of your certificates you have
to publish the pubkey of your CA for them to import it in their MUAs.

Hope this helps.
Florian