Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Encrypted emails

From: Paul daSilva <pdasilva () polr org>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 09:34:26 -0400

Hi Jair,

I don't pretend to know anything about Microsoft Active Directory, and don't know if this is even an available feature for MS Exchange. So, hopefully somebody else on the list will be able to help you in more detail.

In my experience, this type of functionality requires an SSL certificate on your Internet-facing mail server (MX), and of course you need to configure the mail server to talk both plain SMTP and encrypted SMTP. This gives you transport-level security, encrypting communication between mail servers using a common certificate. Easier to deploy but possibly less secure, as anyone gaining access to 1 common certificate can potentially decrypt all encrypted mail flowing through that mail server.

A quick 'google' will yield you with positive results:
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/011807-tls4.html

Alternatively, you could deploy a tool like PGP or the like, allowing each user the option to encrypt selected email messages using their own individual certificates. Harder and more expensive to deploy, but possibly more secure as each individual user has their own certificate, and only intended recipients will be provided with the means to decrypt and read the message based on a web of trust.

Cheers,
Paul daSilva

Jair wrote:
Hi There,

I have a CA in my windows 2000 active directory domain and my users are able to send encrypted emails just to internal users in the organization( users
in the same active directory domain).
Are you aware of any way to send encrypted messages to users in a different
organization ( another email domain) ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answer.