Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Example Black Lists for Windows?

From: krymson () gmail com
Date: 13 Apr 2007 17:39:34 -0000

I apologize in advance for not really answering your question. But I think you might be better served (depending on
your situation) by compiling a list of allowed applications rather than trying to keep up with all the new applications
that come out every week. Even categories would be tough to not only define properly for policy, but also keep up with.

But, if you are going this route for a reason, you could maybe look at the category lists or even application lists for
popular filtering/blacklisting programs. You might find some here: http://www.securitywizardry.com/HIDS.htm.

Second, you might be looking to get a blacklist of applications for use in Group Policy? You might want to Google
"group policy application blacklist" and you might see some other people's lists and such.

Good luck, and hopefully you get some other better answers!

<- snip ->

I'm currently building a black list of undesirable software to block on company Windows XP machines.

Does anyone know of any example/suggested blacklists of this type online?

I just mean things like Kazaa, Yahoo, Skype, Championship manager, etc...

I'd be grateful for any links or advice on where to start!