Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Device Authentication - The answer to attacks lauched using stolen passwords?

From: "Saqib Ali" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 11:25:18 -0700

when you say mutual authentication, do you mean mutual auth between

1)  server and the client device; or
2)  server and the user

#2 is already in place. e.g. when you connect to SSL enabled banc
website using a OTP. However you DO depend on the user to correctly
authenticate the SSL cert offered by the webserver.

It is #1 that is missing.

On 9/6/06, Nick Owen <nickowen () mindspring com> wrote:
Saqib Ali wrote:
> A recent "self-serving" report by Phoenix Technologies indicated that
> 84 of attacks could have been prevented only if Device Authentication
> was used in addition to user authentication.
>
> - Evidence Abound:
> · Losses from stolen IDs and passwords far exceeded damages from
> worms, viruses, and other attack methods not utilizing logon accounts
> · Vast majority of attackers, 78 percent, committed crimes from their
> home computers; most often using unsanctioned computers with no
> relationship to the penetrated organization
> · 88 percent, of those crimes were committed from a home PC using
> stolen IDs and passwords and following normal logon procedures.
>
> - Link to full report:
> https://forms.phoenix.com/cybercrime/docs/cyberdoc.pdf
>
> -Their solution?
>  Use Trusted Platform Module to authenticate devices.
>
> - Problem?
> TPM can also be used to force DRM. (EFF and ACLU member don't like DRM
> to say the least)
>
> - Alternatives?
> 1) Be a sitting duck. Passwords WILL stolen and USED to cause financial
> damage;
> 2) Use software based device authentication. e.g. Passmark as used by
> Bank of America
> 3) Create a world-wide PKI, issue SSL certificates to machines as well
> as users, and then perform client side authentication from the server.
> 4) Use IP addresses to perform machine authentication. <grin>
>
> - Read more at:
> http://www.xml-dev.com/blog/index.php?action=viewtopic&id=243
>
> Any thoughts?

I don't accept the assumption that device authentication is the way to
go.  I find it more useful to look at what your are trying to
authenticate.  Is it a user for a session?  Is it a  host for mutual
authentication?  Is is a transaction?   I would bet that doing
cryptographically secure mutual authentication would eliminate most of
the *current* phishing attacks, thus it might be more important to
authenticate the host, not the user's device. Of course, that won't last
forever...

Nick

--
Nick Owen