Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re: nmap -sS SYN-SCAN does not find all open Ports?

From: FocusHacks <focushacks () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:49:05 -0500

I echo the sentiment about booting the live CD on a standalone
machine.  VMWare sometimes acts unpredictably with network tools.

Also, If you can, get a tcpdump or ethereal capture of your port scan.
This will help determine what's going on.  Ideally, you should do it
on the monitor port of the switch that your scanning machine is using,
or use a hub.  Running the capture on the scanning machine directly
might yield decieving results (i.e. tcpdump may say that a packet was
sent when it may have never actually hit the wire).