Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security procedure question

From: "Mario A. Spinthiras" <mario () netway com cy>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:21:16 +0300

Try the following concept:

- What you know
- What you have
- Who you are

There are USB sticks out there that include fingerprint biometric identifiers. This can be used based on the following concept:

- Booting the laptop with the usb stick with a minimal kernel.
- Matching a key on the usb stick.
- Matching a fingerprint
- Asking for a password.

This is top notch methods on encrypting and securing mobile devices. Without any of the three , you cannot boot. Simple as that :)

Regards,
Mario A. Spinthiras

Brown, Sam wrote:
We're going to be deploying whole disk encryption to our laptops so I am
interested in hearing how others have distributed the software
encryption ID's and passwords to users.  I'm concerned about a user
leaving the id and password on paper in or near the laptop.

Sam Brown

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic Excellence in Information Security. Our program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. Using interactive e-Learning technology, you can earn this esteemed degree, without disrupting your career or home life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus