Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: The ugly side of using disk encryption

From: "Saqib Ali" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 20:02:33 -0700

On 10/19/06, Hagen, Eric <hagene () denvernewspaperagency com> wrote:
How about if you cleaned up the scene of a crime so that it was nearly impossible to identify you as the culprit?
Should this be prosecutable?  You were using gloves and a mop to attempt to cover up misdeeds.  Is this a crime?
Should it be a crime?   How does encryption differ?

No, it is very different. In this case a pedophile is using encryption
to illegally hold back information from the law enforcement agencies -
the information that can be used to solve several crimes and bring
closure to victim's families. What you are talking about is completely
off-topic.

What I am talking about is when a criminal is "already convicted" the
DA can make deals with the pedophile in exchange of leniency in
sentencing. My proposal give more leverage to  the office of DA to
make these kinds of deals.

If you are the family of a victim wouldn't you want to some kind of
closure even if the pedophile is already behind bars for a different
case?

Remember:
"The art of policing is, in order not to punish often, to punish severely"

--
Saqib Ali, CISSP, ISSAP
http://www.full-disk-encryption.net