Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Password statistics and standards

From: "dave kleiman" <dave () davekleiman com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 19:45:25 -0400

Dathan,

No I am not referring to MD5. Where do you see >14 characters on any of the
tables you sent a link for? They all say UP TO 14 CHARACTERS.

You have LM "hashes" and NT "hashes" mixed-up. NTLM is an authentication
protocol.

LM hash store (not truly a hash):
Padded with NULL to exactly 14 characters
Converted to upper case
Separated into two 7 character strings, actually two seven-character
passwords
Limited character set, character variations - 69
Common alphanumeric set only
Case insensitive

Utilizing anything greater than 14 characters in Windows (>NT4 SP6) causes
the password to be stored in a NT hash.

NT hash store:
Case preserving
Character variations > 630
Maximum length = 127 characters

Or you can use extended characters in a short password to disable LM store:
http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/88/312263

Maybe you should pick up a copy of Perfect Passwords, has some good insight:
http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Passwords-Selection-Protection-Authentication/
dp/B000FBHNJ0

Dave