Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Password statistics and standards

From: "dave kleiman" <dave () davekleiman com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 15:21:31 -0400

If you shut off the storage of LM hashes, over 9 Characters will buy you
some time. (Rainbow tables are only up to 8 characters on NTLM.)

To be safe over 14 characters would be the best, should be safe for a while,
or at least until the tables catch up. (maybe a year or so)

Take a look at Perfect Passwords for some creative ideas:
http://www.syngress.com/catalog/?pid=3420

Dave