Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Questions about Novell ZENwork security audit and review tools

From: nikhil () niiconsulting com
Date: 18 Oct 2006 10:21:15 -0000

Hello Ricci,

   Novell is one of my favourite topic, & here is what I think about it.

   Firstly you can use a tool called "Chknull.exe" which shows you every account with no password & the best part is
that you do not have to be logged in. For this to work, bindery emulation must be on.

   Besides Chknull.exe there is a tool called "Novelbfh.exe" & "Nwpcrack.exe". Novelbfh.exe is a brute force password
cracker which works on Netware 3.x versions. Whereas NWPcrack is a password cracker that works against a single account
& uses a dictionary wordlist.

    Again there are tools like "Bindery.exe" & "BinCrack.exe". Bindery.exe is a password cracker that works directly
against the .OLD bindery files & extracts user information out of bindery files into a Unix-style password text file.
After this you can use Bincrack.exe to crack the extracted text file.

    "Getit" is a tool designed to capture passwords on a Novell Network.

    "Spooflog" is a program written in C by Greg Miller that can spoof a workstation into believing that it is
communicating with the server. This is a fairly advanced exploit.

     "Gobbler" is a hacking tool which "sniffs" network traffic on Novell servers.

      The last & final, which is a more usefull of above all is tool called "Pandora". Pandora is a set of tools for
hacking, intruding & testing the security & insecurity of Novell servers.

Security Note : All these tools mentioned above are just for Security Assessment. As a security auditor, by using tools
like chknull, bincrack etc in the same category, you could find out which are the accounts which needs to apply strong
password or strong security policies. By mentioning these tools I have no intension of making people actually hack into
Novell Network or OS.