Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: One computer two different networks

From: "Ray Sawyer" <rays () oscamtechnical com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 17:52:48 -0400

It would seem that the reason for having a secure network is of course
to guarantee it's secure. Allowing any direct access to the internet
from internal systems, even through a proxy or application layer
firewall (seems most have forgotten Microsoft's ISA server), would be an
unacceptable risk.

That being say we all know that politics usually wins over security. In
my opinion the best compromise would be a sort of hybrid solution,
utilizing a terminal server or Citrix box in a DMZ (such as already
suggested in a previous email) and the use of some sort of proxy or
application firewall (WebSweeper, ISA, Surf Control , etc, etc). This
should provide a reasonable amount a segregation to insure the integrity
of the secure network, while providing access and content control in
both directions while quarantining any malicious content in the DMZ.