Security Basics mailing list archives

Value of Nova Southeastern PhD with Security Concentration?

From: andrews () rbacomm com
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 13:13:05 -0500

Nova Southweastern offers PhD programs in both CIS and IS that have the option of a security concentration. (The information is under their PhD programs link.)

Both programs look interesting, though the PhD in IS with the security concentration is more compelling for me right now. It looks like it would provide both a thorough background in security and a PhD which I am getting the itch for. I have been working in software development (with some secure coding issues) for the past 20 years, but I recently transferred into a more compliance/security role at work.

Does anyone have experience with this program? Is it worth the time, cost and effort? I am planning on working on my CISSP and possibly CISM as well. Would a PhD have any value in the security field? Or am I better off just focusing on learning more "on the job" as well as gaining certifications?

I already have a M.S. in C.S. from Illinois, so the degree would not be as prestigious, though that is not the sole aim point.

Brad