Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: log monitoring/analysis/correlation systems

From: Jon Hart <jhart () spoofed org>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 16:38:26 -0800

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 08:21:18PM +0100, sami seclist wrote:
Hi list,
a client of our is looking for a log monitoring solution for it's
network security infrastructure.
Logs are to be collected from routers, firewalls, IDS and antivirus.
The only product I found to be applicable in this situation is cisco's
Security Monitoring Analysis and Response Systems (In fact it does
much than what is needed !).
Other products I found
exaprotect (seems to be the best option)
hp openview and IBM tivoli manager (I think they are too heavy for
this company and also very expensive)

does anybody know of other log monitoring systems, and what do you
think of the above ?
Syslog is not an option as log files have heterogeneous formats and is
somewhat tricky to obtain a practical usage

CS MARS, IMO, is too Cisco centric.  Even at that, it isn't particularly
good at working with Cisco devices and their respective logs.  If you
need an event correlation / monitoring system simply for the sake of
having one, CS MARS is an option.

The problem with many of the commercial solutions is that they generally
only support a subset of various products (as far as generic log
processing goes).  With some vendors you can pay extra and they'll write
a custom parser for you.  Give Sensage and Symantec SSIM a look too.

On the free side of the house, I highly recommend you take a look at SEC
(http://www.estpak.ee/~risto/sec/).  There is a lot of manual work that
must be done up front to get a log monitoring / correlation system using
SEC off the ground, but you'll learn a lot about your logs in doing so.
We've deployed it in our production environment which generates 10-15G
of logs per day.  There are a number of things that SEC lacks, but none
of which (IMO) are show stoppers.  Plus, for the price...

-jon