Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Expired certificates

From: "Gaydosh, Adam" <GaydoshA () ctc com>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 13:32:40 -0400

Clients should not be prompted to accept the expired certificate, e.g.
if there is a new certificate being used...this was not clear in the OP
other then "We do not use it anymore...", although I agree it'd be poor
conditioning for the users if they were in fact prompted.
The information in a certificate is public by nature, including the
public key, so the security risk is the private key...since it can be
used to decrypt (archived, if no longer in use) SSL sessions, you should
not leave it dormant on the web server, but archived off-line (as
dictated by your security policies ;).  Not to mention why any sensible
sys admin would lobby to keep expired certificates cluttering the
certificate store...