Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Expired certificates

From: Derek Schaible <dschaible () cssiinc com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 16:43:19 -0400

I have a thought on this topic. While on the surface it seems like a mundane issue, who really cares beyond desensitizing users about security warnings? However, a bigger issue may in fact exist: A certificate expires for several reasons. A primary reason for expiring a certificate is because the lifetime of the key has passed and could have been cracked. Keeping that key alive on the server tells a hacker that the maintainer does not care about the key's life cycle and could have other such keys on the network.

You see, if a key with a certain level of encryption could theoretically be cracked in say 3 years with modern technology, good practice says expire the certificate in about 2 years. The certificate is not the key, merely a voucher for the authenticity of the key. If the cert has expired, the key technically should no longer be trusted.

So, leaving it in place could mean someone has extra time to crack the key.

I'd recommend it's removal immediately, personally. If not for the unlikeliness of it being cracked, then out of respect for maintaining sound practices for your users to follow. The cost of replacing the certificate is very cheap in the grand scheme of computing costs.

- -d