Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Article: "Security Absurdity: The Complete, Unquestionable, And Total Failure of Information Security."

From: Bob Radvanovsky <rsradvan () unixworks net>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 12:39:40 -0500

But you've left out *one* very important factor: Mr. Winkler is a former intel operative from the U.S. federal
government.  For him, he *is* "Mr. Security", and would understand its intricacies; however, don't discount other
people's judgements or decisions who are simply discussing alternative possibilities, but aren't considered "resident
experts", like as yourself.  You are implicating (again) that security is an "absolute" instead of a "resolute" (that
being "relative" to any given environment).  If this helps people understand its philosophy, "security" can be
expressed as an entity -- if you will -- an organism, one that evolves just like a living, breathing organism.

What you have to understand is that people like Mr. Winkler are in the business fortifying an environment or system --
by first destroying it.  By being an intel operative, and breaking into a system or environment, they are (effectively)
destroying it by demonstrating its ineffectiveness in stopping (or preventing) them from gaining access.  How does
making a comparison to that mean that something is or is not secure?  Another question might be, if an organization
were to allow a portion of its environment to be exposed and vulnerable to attack, does that make that organization
less secure, more secure, or about the same?  The answer is: "it depends".  Based on the elements given, how can you
ascertain that that organization is or is not "secure"?  You can't.  An almost similar type of conclusion is being
drawn from the other analogy that brought about this *whole* debate.

-r

DISCLAIMER:  Just because someone says that something is "secure" doesn't mean that it *is* "secure".