Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Encrypting data on fileserver

From: Frederic Jaeckel <jaeckelf () refuzed org>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 20:14:23 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 11:58:40AM -0500, Nick Vaernhoej wrote:
I have been asked to find solutions for encrypting the shares of the
company fileserver and I am not even sure this is possible.
Can I somehow encrypt the contents of a fileserver and then install a
client on the company workstations so that all this is invisible to the
end users?

the easiest way is to build a VPN and provide exclusive access to the
shares only via VPN. Additionally you can encrypt the data on the
filesever. How, depends on the operating system.
A good solution vor VPN is OpenVPN wich is open source and portable to
most architectures.

Greetings,

Fredric Jaeckel