Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: in-to-out security

From: "Beauford, Jason" <jbeauford () EightInOnePet com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 11:28:52 -0500

Joe,

1.)     Acceptable Usage Policies are the very first step and are
ABSOLUTELY required.  As you have seen already, the toughest part is
getting Upper   Managmeent approval.

2.)     Gaining UM approval is a common topic of discussion.  Generate
some sort of Risk Assessment.  Evaluate the costs associated with an
"incident".     Evaluate and demonstrate (if possible) the kinds of
problems you are seeing on the network.  Use laymen terms rather than
techie jargon to explain.       UM needs to know exactly whats going on
in words they can understand.

                Use available tools to start building your case.  NTOP
can monitor traffic flows on your network.  If you can show that certain
traffic is              being   passed on the network and that there is
a risk associated with it (TORRENT / P2P traffic for example risks
exposure of sensitive                   corporate documents) then you
may be able to convince them.

3)      There are plenty of GPL and Commercial products available to
monitor and limit traffic flows.  You'll need to specifically identify
what it is you  want to do and evaluate the solutions for your
organization.

4.)     If you do not implement an Acceptable Usage Policy and fail to
inform your employees that network traffic may be monitored, you open
yourself up to  legal liabilities.  The company should consult a laywer
to help finalize such policies and help identify any legal obligations.

-JMB