Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: application for an employment

From: Murad Talukdar <talukdar_m () subway com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 13:17:39 +1000

When I was a wayward teenager, I once got very drunk during a KISS FM summer
roadshow. The result of three hours of solid drinking in the sun was a very
full bladder. Now, for some unknown reason I decided to tag onto a group of
people that I had never met before and I actually managed to walk into their
house un-noticed by them until we all got into the kitchen. There I was
challenged by someone along the lines of, "Who the hell are you," (but with
more, uhh, brio) at which point I replied that I needed to use their toilet.
Needless to say they refused and politely, if a little roughly, ejected me
forthwith.

Now you could say that I was port scanning in the hope of finding somewhere
to dump data that did not belong to the owners' of the house in question. Or
something. Maybe I've got this whole analogy thing the wrong way round.
Perhaps you could say that I was attempting a Man in the Piddle attack. I
don't know. The port scanning issue is such a nebulous one-especially when
applied across international boundaries. What does the law say where YOU
are? What does the law say where you are about scanning OTHER countries?
What does the law in another country say about you scanning their country
from somewhere else. As someone has pointed out(and I'll defer to them on
this point) the scanning is not illegal in Germany-with the usual conditions
of course.

Is it unethical? Hmmm.
Should he tell the Uni? I don't think so. Not until he works out how they
operate.

Also, has Matthias posted with his real name? This whole thread would no
doubt show up on a quick Google.....will they bother doing that? If the
employers know anything about modern hiring resources then I'd expect the
too....

Regards
Murad Talukdar