Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Anti-Virus

From: Edward Krack <eddie_krack () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 23:12:13 -0600

Neil:

I'm looking for a new antivirus to buy, and among other things, I'm
looking for one that is not going to sound alarms at my tools (one even
went so far as to block execution and try to delete John the Ripper and
some others).

Anyone have any recommendations for stuff thats worked well for them?

Train your antivirus not to delete your cracker toys, but REPORT only.

I use ClamAv. It doesn't scan in REAL time on my XP machine. I have it set to
scan every six hours.

clamav.net
Look for the "third party software" link.
Then scroll down and look for Clamwin.

IT'S FREE

Krack

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus