Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Anti-Virus

From: Neil <neil () voidfx net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 00:27:57 +0530

Gaddis, Jeremy L. wrote:
Neil wrote:
I'm looking for a new antivirus to buy, and among other things, I'm
looking for one that is not going to sound alarms at my tools (one even
went so far as to block execution and try to delete John the Ripper and
some others).

Was that McAfee v8 by chance? Had that happen to me too, until I figured out you could turn that off and/or tweak it.

-j

No, it was NOD32. It was triggering on netcat (somewhat understandable), john the ripper and brutus (both somewhat confusing). I wouldn't mind it triggering, except there was no easy way around it.

I also recently tried F-Secure, which I liked a bit better. It offered a "Do nothing." option when it triggered; and it also caught some malware which NOD32 had apparently missed. But it seems to randomly slow down my computer (and by slow down, I mean make unusable).

I should probably also mention that I'm not looking for an enterprise solution, I'm looking for something for personal use (on a laptop).

And thanks to everyone who's replied.

--
Neil
http://voidfx.net

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning, Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.
http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus