Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: What addresses to put on my NEW black list?

From: nodialtone <nodialtone () comcast net>
Date: 22 Feb 2006 21:04:41 -0500

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 19:10, Ryan Cummings wrote:
You might be much better off blocking the ports that
filesharing/streaming media come in on.  You should be able to do a
bit of searching around and find the default ports for most of these
applications and shut them down at the firewall level.  Also depending
on your firewall or even IDS (this is debatable on the use:P) you
could filter the content there.

I know searching around on shoutcast.com most of the streaming
stations use 8000+ for a port number so that is a good start.