Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: system monitoring

From: jalvare7 () cajastur es
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 08:24:10 +0100

Hi,

I've seen OCS being deployed in a cross-country organization with 5 sites,
centralizing inventory of SW and HW for both desktops and servers, It does
the job very well, users did not complain about interference though the
process takes some time (we run it weekly). Reports were enough for us and
we knew we could build any other one by directly accesing OCS's simple
database schema. The user interface answered very efficiently our most
common questions about inventory (who has X?, how many X do we have?,
who's desktop is Y?, how many Z PCs do we have?, How many desktops with
less that 512MB RAM do we have?...).
It took some time to deploy to get enough assurance that servers sould be
catalogued in due time after being installed, and to put in place
procedures to ensure that removed equipment was moved to "history" in OCS.
We would have benefitted most from automatic device discovery, combined
with a way to get proposals on equipment that seem to have dissapeared and
could be moved to "history".
All in all I'd recommed that at least you give it a try.

Regards

Juan Alvarez Ferrando

Hi all,
I wanted to find out if anyone had ever used OCS to monitor the machines
on
their network.
The link to the project on sourceforge is here:
http://ocsinventory.sourceforge.net

SAM does not get much in the way of resources here so I'm looking for a
low
cost alternative I'm doing up some WMI scripts to do the same but OCS
looks
like it may be promising.

I need to be able to inventory software and hardware across the network
and
then output to reports etc.
Other commercial stuff seems expensive or not so good.

Kind Regards
Murad Talukdar

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity
Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus