Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: capture the flag (hacking games)

From: Albert Gonzalez <incodeblood () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 01:43:14 -0600

Robert,

There are quite a few online wargames. hackergames.net has a list
online wargames, to name a few...

http://dusty.b33r.com/wargames.php
http://www.pulltheplug.org/wargames/index.html
http://www.hackerplayground.com/games.php

Hope that helps

_Albert

On 2/9/06, Robert Bauer <rbauer () snowcompanies com> wrote:
This sounds like a lot of fun - does anyone know where these are being
held?  I'd love to attend.

Robert Bauer

List Spam wrote:
The particular rules of the game will be determined by the game
organizer, but typically, CTF games are just that - Obtain something
of value from an opponent.

They often times are single-target games wherein a number of
competitors will try to access/disable/misuse a central resource owned
and secured by the organizer.  Other times they are a "BYOT" (bring
your own target) game where you are charged with defending your
resources against an opponent(s).  There are also (my favorite, btw)
combination games wherein you must both actively attack your
opponents' resources and defend your own.

The whole point of these kind of games are to allow you to obtain new
defense methods, gain new contacts, and learn humility.  That being
said, they are often great fun as well.

Good luck and have fun!

RE