Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Loopholes in a proxy and smtp server

From: Devdas Bhagat <devdas () dvb homelinux org>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 12:18:01 +0530

On 13/12/06 10:39 +0530, Niranjan Patil wrote:
<snip>

Using this anyone can get address book of all valid email ids of that
firm, he/she may use a simple script too. I don't think this is
normal, and need to address this soon. I checked out the popular free
email providers like gmail, yahoo or hotmail, they accept connections
for all email ids and then sends back a mailer daemon for invalid ids.

You mean, you would rather send out blowback and spam rather than let
your address book possibly get harvested. You would think there is a
reason that those providers are listed in Spamcop so often.

You might want to look at aol for a better example. It took them three
years, but they now do recipient validation at the edge.
/me waves to the folks at AOL.

Devdas Bhagat