Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Loopholes in a proxy and smtp server

From: Murda Mcloud <murdamcloud () bigpond com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 14:45:04 +1000

Which just made me think-let's say sites that you visit do this
'enumerating' via java/javascript and get your private IP(what auditmypc
calls your nocturnal IP(never heard that term before). Now how do you stop
it this from happening at the gateway or on a client based firewall? This is
happening at the application layer, right? Like I said before-you can turn
off java but is there another way of stopping this?

Like Matt said-is the threat worth worrying about? How could someone use the
info to help map out your network? How hard would it be to do so etc.