Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Opinions on vulnerability scanning practice?

From: krymson () gmail com
Date: 4 Aug 2006 13:46:04 -0000

From everything I have heard, you are not wrong for being upset. They performed a possibly intrusive vulnerability
scan on your systems without asking your permission. This is reasonably no different than a malicious user doing the
same thing. They could have easily caused a DoS on your system or found holes in your armor. If you have alerts set
up, it takes manhours to isolate and address the issue. Normal courses of action could have caused you to block their
site from reaching your servers, which may have impacted your own hosted non-profits, especially if e-commerce had
already been turned on.

As always with issues like this, I would at least mention it to your lawyers and see what they have to say as well.
There is the possibility your non-profits thought that the server effectively belonged to them, and they were right in
authorizing scans. This might warrant a quick look at any contracts you and they have. I would definitely contact them
and let them and the risk mgmt firm know that this sort of action was not requested nor permissed. They should admit
their fault and apologize, and hopefully they won't do it again.

I think it will be enough to say, "hey, you didn't get permission for this, if you do it again without permission, we
will block service, which could impact e-commerce operations." Seek contact information for IT/security managers at the
non-profits and the rick management firm so that if this happens again, you can quickly get to a source.