Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Interview Questions

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:53:30 -0700

If you are going to do that why bother?  Chances are pretty
good that the person you are interviewing has already passed
certification so why ask them again?

  You'd like to think so, wouldn't you?

  I interviewed a candidate a few years back.  He was coming from
an environment with an assortment of 10 and 100 Mbps UTP and 10 Mbps
co-ax connections, and had an MCSE which, at least then, meant he
had to have passed the "Networking Fundamentals" requirement.
  So I asked him if he could give me some differences between UTP
and co-ax.  HE COULDN'T.  Not the different length limits, or
susceptibility to interference or even the number of conductors.
  Apparently, the fact that he was working with the stuff and had
passed an exam that asked about it wasn't sufficient to mean he
actually knew it.

  [To be fair, that *wasn't* the interview answer that lost him the
job offer.  He fancied himself a "Network Architect" and said that
crawling under a desk to plug something in was "somebody else's job".
THAT was the clincher.]

Dave Gillett