Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: dd vs windows...

From: Pablo Sanz Mercado <pablo.sanz () uam es>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 08:47:05 +0200

I have a windows xp machine that I want to take a binary image of. Can I
boot into knoppix on this same machine and use it to dump the binary onto a
dvd/cd? I'm guessing this would depend on whether I could get support for
my dvd writer.

        You can also use partimage

http://www.partimage.org

in order to have a compressed image of your windows partitions: Boot the
machine with the live-cd, use the partimage tool included in  the live-cd and
save the windows partitions (it is almost the same as dd / bzip2). With this
tool you can also save ext3 partitions, etc and also restore them without any
effort :)