Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: dd vs windows...

From: Chris Largret <largret () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 11:26:39 -0700

On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 13:41 +1000, Murda Mcloud wrote:

Hi all,
I have a windows xp machine that I want to take a binary image of. Can I
boot into knoppix on this same machine and use it to dump the binary onto a
dvd/cd? I'm guessing this would depend on whether I could get support for my
dvd writer.

I would recommend using dd to create an image of the hard drive,
possibly pipe it through gzip or bzip2, and save it to a second drive.
If it is larger than a DVD, then split it up before you burn it.

I don't know of a way to pipe dd into mkisofs and burn it at the same
time. On the other hand, I don't think you should use windows if you are
really looking for a "dd image" because Windows will mount the drive
read-write.

--
Chris Largret <http://www.largret.com>