Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re: broute forcing telnet and ssh

From: planbb () telus net
Date: 26 Sep 2005 20:41:26 -0000

I was hoping to find a similar tool. Brutus works well for ftp, http and telnet auths. I have yet to find a good one
for ssh. I was looking for one as well because a few of the servers at work have been rooted via ssh brute force. A
weak password was to blame.

There is some sort of program in circulation and I was hoping to find the code for it. It seems it doesn't just brute
force but it checks for typical usernames and passwords. For example it tries admin, root, apache, vsftpd, ftpsecure
and all those.

Almost all the secure log files on all the servers were filled with failed in ssh log attempts. Solution to this was to
listen on a different port and run a daemon that prevents too many failed attempts from one IP.

I would still very much like to see the ssh brute forcer that they are using. Anyone know where?