Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: broute forcing telnet and ssh

From: Gregory Boyce <gboyce () badbelly com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:42:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005, Juan B wrote:

Hi Great List !

I need to boute force my server in the company to
check if it can resist broute forcing ( and check
passwords strange ) the server is open to the to the
internal network in telnet and ssh.

can some one tell me about good tools to check this
issue?

What are you trying to discover by doing this?

I see two possible reasons to brute force SSH or telnet on a server you own.

1) To test passsword strength - If you're an admin on the server, then this method seems kind of round about. You already have access to the encrypted password file, so you're better off just using a tool like john the ripper to test the strength of the passwords. It will be faster than going through SSH or telnet would be.

2) To look for a trojaned sshd - If someone installed a trojan sshd with a backdoor username and password, then you might be able to find it by applying usernames and passwords known to have been used in existing trojans. I would think there would be better ways to do this as well though.