Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows XP SP2 and Security Tools

From: "Greg" <security-basics () pchandyman com au>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 07:33:21 +1000

----- Original Message ----- From: "xyberpix" <xyberpix () xyberpix com>
To: "Steve McLaughlin" <Steve.McLaughlin () aggreko co uk>
Cc: <pen-test () securityfocus com>; <security-basics () securityfocus com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 4:27 AM
Subject: Re: Windows XP SP2 and Security Tools

It's been a while since I ran windows as a pentest box, since I got the Mac for work, but from what I remember you have to add a patch to get nmap using raw sockets.
This may have been fixed now, but it's worth checking.

A lot of people have said this same thing to me but as I reported to him, Nmap worked the entire time on my XPSP2 machine. It never had a problem. He never DID figure out why.

I would say "try it" in regards to nmap. You may just find it works the way it is without fiddling about, as I did.

Greg.