Security Basics mailing list archives

VAN

From: jalbuquerque () northkingtsown org
Date: 20 Oct 2005 17:44:51 -0000

I have an ISP pitching a Virtual Area Network to take the place Point to Point connections I have

The pitch is

Virtual Area Network (VAN) brings the next generation of virtual private networking to you. VAN provides a networking
solution that enables you to connect remote offices and/or workers to the main office. In simplest terms, the VAN
provides reliable, secure data transmissions across a physical network link.

-Protocol independent

-TCP/IP,NetBEUI,IPX and AppleTalk tested

Security:

-Baseline privacy,anti-spoofing functions,private addresses

This is the proposed configuration

VAN SITES|---| ISP ATM|---|STC|--|ISP ATM|---|WAN

I will be setting up a meeting to find out more, but would like to have some input from you all.

Anyone have experience with this?

Any security related info would be helpful.

Thanks

Jason