Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Questions...Network Security and Wireless

From: Alloishus BeauMains <all0i5hu5 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:22:39 -0500

I am looking to know whether the security of my home network I have is
fairly good. I am not able to try a pen test on it. However, I do know
that the firewall capabilities are good. I am still on the lookout for
potential holes via exploits, though.

First, I am using a cable modem connected to a DLINK DI-624 wireless router.

My wireless security is set to WPA2 TKIP. I have my SSID Broadcast
disabled. I do know that if I do not provide the passkey to get in,
then you cannot connect, and that the wireless adapter will try all of
the channels. Most likely someone would find one of my two neighbors'
wireless APs, as they are broadcasting and wide open.

The firewall is set on both the workstation, and the router to block
everything that isn't necessary.

Now, from an another site, I have enabled OpenSSH in a server, client
relationship so that I can connect to the wireless network. So, port
22 is open at my home network, and using port forwarding, the router
does pass the traffic to the workstation. I tunnel RDP through putty.
Also, port 3389 is open on the home network, allowing for RDP.

I have strong, random passwords with symbols with all connections.

At a glance, would this suggest adequate security? It would seem to me
that the only way someone could get in was through a brute force
attack. Are there any ways to make this better using this same
equipment? Anything I should check for?

Is it illegal to use my neighbor's connection (without permission) to
pen test my own network? (ha ha)