Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: prohibiting visitors from connecting to network

From: ponchowest () yahoo com
Date: 18 Oct 2005 06:02:37 -0000

If it's wireless do what I did, use the MAC address of each computer. I have a LinkSys router and we live close to
where truck drivers stop to eat and they would use my WiFi to get on the web. Well I took down all my wireless computer
MAC addresses and now only my computers can get to our network. I did kind of the same thing with the computers that
use a cable. I each computer was given an IP address that could not be changed then when I knew how many computers in
total we had I linited the number of avalable IP addresses to that number. We only have 15 computers so it worked on a
small scale.