Security Basics mailing list archives

network architecture related to db security - needed

From: Bob Ababurko <bob () webstakez com>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 14:43:49 -0500

I am trying to figure out the best possible implementation to keep a db safe that is going to used as a backend for publicly accessible web services (Internet). What are the better or best ways to protect the db from being hacked OR what are the ways that the web machines will access them? I am not sure if a dmz would be best as I am thinking if someone got into the web box(on the DMZ) that they will have a clear shot going to the db if we have the port wide open for the two to communicate(say 3306 for mysql communication). Plus typically, there will be logins for the db that the php scripts that are running that need to access the db. Yes, these web boxen will also be running php, so I envision wanting to use some sort of encoding or encryption for these sensitive php files. Do I run the db connection over an ssh tunnel on my network, so that only port 22 is accessible between the db and web/php boxen? That makes good sense, but I am concerned with the overhead ssh brings and keeping an already somewhat latent connection between separate db and web/php(considering db and web on the same box is the quickest way to communicate...sockets).

I am just wondering the ways that admins choose to secure these connections. These seems like some of the hardest machines to secure and I cannot seem to find much out there in this regard. Many other services seem more straight forward, so this is also more interesting to me as well. Please share your ideas for the most secure db security so that we may learn.

Kind Regards,
Bob Ababurko